Two teams of celebrity players and sporting legends, led by Jennifer Saunders and Oti Mabuse, will battle it out this summer in the first ever All-Star Netball for Sport Relief.
Clare Balding will present as the Liverpool Arena plays host to a what the beeb describe as a ‘tense celebrity and legends netball match’ during the weekend of the Netball World Cup final.
“I hope the match inspires more women across the country to get involved with sport while raising money for vital causes.” – Clare Balding
Hoping to fulfil a childhood dream of lifting a sporting trophy, huge netball fan and comedy legend Jennifer Saunders will captain one of the all-star teams. Strictly Come Dancing‘s Oti Mabuse, who grew up playing netball in South Africa, will captain the other.
- Eager to make their captains proud are:
- Montana Brown, Love Island
- Denise Lewis, ex-heptathlete and former Olympic champion
- Sarah Hadland, actress and comedian
- Sally Phillips, actress and comedian
- Sue Smith, commentator and ex-England footballer
- Ellie Taylor, presenter and comedian
- Vick Hope, Capital FM Breakfast presenter
- Luisa Omielan, comedian
- Adele Roberts, BBC Radio 1 DJ
- Dame Katherine Grainger, ex-rower and former Olympic champion
- Lindsey Russell, presenter, Blue Peter
- Jade Jones, Taekwondo athlete and Olympic gold medallist
- Katherine Merry, ex-sprinter and former Olympian medallist
“I never thought I’d be leading a team out on to a netball court but I’m definitely up for the challenge. I would say I’m confident, but I haven’t picked up a netball since school so who knows what kind of moves I’ll be making out there in the arena. I wouldn’t be getting this active for anything other than Sport Relief so I’m hoping loads of people tune in to the programme and donate.” – Jennifer Saunders
The famous faces are getting active for Sport Relief to raise money to help support vulnerable people here in the UK and abroad through projects such as The Change Foundation in London and Shooting Touch in Rwanada which both use the power of sport to help people.
“I’ve always played sports, all different types, and netball has always been something I have really enjoyed. As a team captain, I’ll be whipping my team in to shape to keep Jennifer on her toes and make sure we bring that trophy home. Despite the size of the arena, I’m excited to get out on that court and give it my all for Sport Relief to help raise vital funds.” – Oti Mabuse
An hour-long programme on Saturday 20th July on BBC Two will showcase the game, follow the ups and downs of team training and look at how the money raised by Sport Relief is used to make a real difference to ordinary people living incredibly tough lives.