This week’s round up of celebrity news on ATV Today, including; Harry Potter stars Daniel Radcliffe and Rupert Grint, Cheryl Cole, Nigel Mansell, Ringo Starr, Cliff Richard, Sugarbabes, John Cleese, Noel Gallagher and more.
Cheryl and Ashley Cole are rumoured to be house-hunting according to Metro paper. Now the currently divorced couple are reportedly getting back together they are said to be wanting to start afresh by selling their former marital home, Hurtmore House in Godalming, Surrey. The paper says Cheryl associates that pad with the breakdown of their relationship. Nothing to do with her dirty ex-hubby then?
They bought the nine bedroom mansion for £3.5 million in October 2007. Following their divorce last year, Ashley was awarded the house, while Cheryl moved into a rented home in Hadley Wood, Hertforshire.
Cheryl wants their new home to include a state-of-the-art recording studio, reports have suggested. “They got back together because they want children and they could not live without each other” a friend of the couple told the Metro.
“They’ve never been happier, Ashley has got his wife back, and this time its for keeps. He has learned from his mistakes and knows he messed up but he’s promised Cheryl he will change.”
Mansell’s Magic Maneuver
Formula One legend Nigel Mansell in on track for a new career – as a magician. The 57-year old is thought to have taken up tricks to help boost his brainpower after suffering minor head injuries in a 200mph crash last year reported the much mocked News of the World paper. The 1992 F1 world champion has proved so talented that he is about to be accepted into the prestigious magicians society The Magic Circle.
A friend told the News of the World, “Nigel has shown the same aptitude for magic tricks as he did for motor racing. He thought it would help his brain after he suffered concussion. He surprised everyone including himself, by becoming good at it. Now he is on the verge of being accepted into The Magic Circle, and he is delighted”.
Stage Struck Starr
He was one of the most successful groups of all time and has been performing for half a century, but that hasn’t stopped Ringo Starr, real name Richard Starkey, getting stage fright every time he plays in public reported the Daily Mail. The 71 year old said he still felt nervous before concerts. He told Austrian magazine News “I feel like running away 3 seconds before I’m due to hit the stage. That’s why I always run on to it. I would love to coolly stroll on stage but I cannot. I love performing but I have this nervousness every time”.
Ringo also said that as a former Beatles drummer, he doesn’t mind that he is still thought of as a member of the band. “I am a Beatle and will always stay one. So people always refer to me as a Beatle and that’s not something that bothers me. Many bands are still judged by the standards of The Beatles”.
He also said that he is often regarded as “the clown”. But added, “Of course I have grown up a little bit, got a bit more mature”.
- They’ve been quiet for a while but The Sugarbabes will be big again, according to group member Heidi Range. She gushes, “We have lost our way a bit but we’re all still keen on making it work”.
- Kerry Katona is prepared to go to drama school to prove she can act. “I would also look at panto if I was offered a role” she says in the Metro paper. She was aiming for Coronation Street last week, although some would say it’s a television pantomime so maybe there is hope yet for her to be taken on in the North London Am dram society version of Snow White. She could play a tree, a very wide tree.
- “If I’d known they were coming, I would have shaved” said tennis player Andy Murray last week after the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge saw him play at Wimbledon reported The Weekly News.
- It may seem a bit delusional, report Metro paper, but Wayne Rooney reckons his new hair has improved his Shrek-like looks. A source says “He keeps on playing with it and says it makes him look a lot better”. I think its his hair he’s playing with, but these footballers and his past history it could be a hooker.
- Karen Gillan, Dr Who’s Amy Pond, isn’t embarrassed about being caught naked in a New York hotel the other week. She says “I find it all quite amusing”.
- The X Factor could have a new rival for the Christmas No. 1 spot – The Only Way Is Essex “cast” are planning to release a single. “I am already writing the rap” says Amy Childs.
- Jane Asher, is to judge a bake-off at the Almelda Theatre’s street party in Islington, North London on 31st July. The former Crossroads actress has been baking cakes for years of course. A rather down-to-earth hobby for a celebrity. I wonder if Victoria Beckham makes exceedingly good tarts?
- Susan Boyle’s life is being made into a musical. And Eddie Large won’t be playing the part, despite the uncanny resemblance. Rab C Nesbitt actress Elaine C Smith will play Subo in ‘I dreamed a dream’ which will tour the UK next year 2012. Subo herself once tipped Elaine for the role report Woman magazine.
- Elton John’s recent big charity bash was meant to be very “select and A-list” – yet up pops failed pop star Kym Marsh reported Metro paper. Clearly Elton’s entry standards have fallen as low as Corrie’s.
- The Metro paper ask if you’ve ever wondered what the Duchess of Cambridge does to relax at the end of a long day of waving? Well Kate Windsor likes nothing better than watching Desperate Housewives.
- “If God didn’t intend us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?” said actor, presenter and comedy writer John Cleese in The Weekly News.
- Adele has been given the all-clear to sing again after a bout of laryngitis. But a plan to sing the Bond theme song does not seem to be going her way.
- Newly married Kate Moss may have looked serene on her wedding day last week but insiders say, apart from when saying her vows, she smoked at every opportunity and whiffed like a fag packet say Metro paper.
Harry Potter isn’t going Underground
Daniel Radcliffe says he does not catch the Tube for fear of being mobbed by fans. Radcliffe who lives in London, admits he doesn’t even know how to use an Oyster card. In Harry Potter And The Order of the Phoenix, “I try to put my Oyster card through the machine like it’s a ticket, rather than swiping it” and the mistake wasn’t edited, the 21-year-old told The Radio Times.
In other Potter news Rupert Grint appears to be a hit with the gay community, reports Metro Paper, after being asked to sign covers of Attitude magazine at the recent premiere.
Cliff’s Lost That Friday Feeling
It emerged this week that Sir Cliff Richard’s “Girl Friday” Gill Snow had been sacked after 39 years of loyal service. Tania Hogan, PA to his Managing Director Malcolm Smith says she “cannot comment” according to the Daily Mail. When asked who can, she replies “No one. it’s not a story”.
That’s not the truth for Ms Snow has quite a tale to tell, and is currently weighing up her options. She is unhappy about what has happened, and cannot quite understand why it has been handled the way it has.
There is a story from an ATV Network employee who worked at the company’ London HQ in the 1960s concerning our Cliff, but unfortunately we can’t publish it. But safe to say the foyer wasn’t full of harmonious tunes.
A Far from tranquil Oasis
Noel Gallagher says Oasis would have never split up if his “violent” brother Liam hadn’t hurled a plum at him. He lifted the lid on the feud at a recent press conference where he announced the release of his solo album – Noel’s High Flying Birds through Sour Mash Records on 17th October. Noel also revealed how a raging Liam nearly “took his face off” with a guitar as he recalled the row in a Paris dressing room in 2009.
”He (Liam) didn’t turn up to the V Festival because of a hangover” said the 44-year-old singer. “He claimed it was laryngitis but whatever… He was quite violent. At that point there hadn’t been any physical violence but it was a bit like WWE wrestling. As things came to a head, he stormed out of the dressing room but on the way out he picked up a plum and he threw it across the room and it smashed against the wall. He went to his own dressing room and he came out with a guitar and started wielding it like an axe. It was a really unnecessary violent act. So he’s swinging this guitar around and you know, he nearly took my face off with it. It ended up on the floor. I put it out of its misery. I walked out. I got in the car and sat there for 5 minutes and said f*** it, I can’t do it anymore. I regret it because we only had two gigs left”.
Noel said if he had his time again he would have gone back and done the gig. “We would have gone all the way and we could have probably discussed it. We may never have split up”.
However any musical reunion is impossible. Noel said “He doesn’t like me in a violent way. For me there’s no point in being in a band with people who fight”. Following Noel’s press conference, Liam tweeted a word for his older brother “S***bag”. In other news former Wimbledon champion John McEnroe has revealed he’s a fan of Oasis’ music. He says, “The Gallagher brothers were always fighting – I thought it was awesome”.
Diamonds are Forever
Singer Neil Diamond shocked his audience when he French kissed a female fan reported Metro paper. When singing “You’ll be a Woman Soon”, the 70 year old knelt down in front of a redhead on the front row. As the fan aged in her mid-30’s stared into his eyes, Neil went in for a lingering kiss, not once but twice at Birmingham’s LG Arena last Thursday.
On a Neil Diamond Twitter fan site, tweeter @Wfbutton1 wrote : “Neil got a little 2 frisky”.
Her raunchy performances should have men queuing up – but singer Rhianna reckons her fame might be putting potential suitors off. “It can definitely be intimidating to guys to date someone in this industry. And it’s really hard to find a guy who doesn’t care about that stuff” the 23 year old told Cosmopolitian magazine.
Quote of the Week
“So, where’s the Cannes Film Festival being held this year?” said singer Christina Aguilera reported The Weekly News.