The future of Blue Peter is ‘100% safe’ reassures the new director of BBC Children’s output, Joe Godwin.
There had been some speculation that the long-running children’s magazine show Blue Peter could be brought to an end by the corporation. However, new director of children’s output on the BBC, Joe Godwin, has denied this is the case and said the future of the series is ‘100% safe’. Godwin made the announcement while speaking to Broadcast, Godwin is a former producer of the series.
“It has one of the best presenter line-ups it has ever had and it is doing really well on the CBBC channel and on BBC1. There is no suggestion that Blue Peter has got a question mark over it.” Joe Godwin talking to Broadcast.
The future of Blue Peter had seemed in doubt after years of the scale backs of the series with fewer episodes per week being produced. Biddy Baxter, the shows former editor, accused the corporation of introducing changes to the series in order to kill it off. As well as committing to the future of Blue Peter Godwin also said he was looking towards building up the Saturday morning slate of programming with perhaps new magazine programmes to replace Tmi which has been on air for four years.