A new signing, a return of an old favourite and the latest on Maggie Jones.
Coronation Street bosses have confirmed that popular posh actor Nigel Havers has signed up for a stint in the nations most famous street. BAFTA-nominated actor Havers will play a character called Lewis.
Corrie say that the character will be “a charming gentleman escort who accompanies wealthy ladies to social functions.”
Nigel will appear on-screen from December.
In other casting news after much forum and newspaper speculation Corrie bosses have announced that Boyzone singer Keith Duffy will return to Weatherfield in 2010. Keith reprises his former role as Ciaran McCarthy.
“Peter and Leanne will stumble across Ciaran working as a chef in a restaurant.” ITV Granada state.
In other news there has been much speculation over the health of Maggie Jones – who plays the wonderful witty Blanche Hunt in the nations favourite soap – since The Sun broke news earlier this week that the popular actress had fallen ill and was in a serious condition in hospital.
A Coronation Street spokesperson has said that the actress has improved and “turned a bit of a corner… …We are all encouraged by this news and wish her well.”
Maggie, who plays acid-tongued Blanche Hunt, was taken ill at the weekend. The 75-year-old was staying at a hotel in Manchester at the time. She has had an operation and is recovering in hospital. The ITV Granada spokesperson added: “We are all thinking about Maggie. She has been written out of scenes whilst she recovers.”
It is the second time Maggie has had an accident near the ITV Granada studios. In April 2008 she fell, again at a hotel, and spent several weeks recuperating. We wish her a speedy recovery and may the Weatherfield Pensioner be back with her one-liners soon.
Blanche’s Best Bits…
- Blanche: “Good looks are a curse, Deirdre. You and Kenneth should count yourselves lucky.”
- “He’s a looney and she’s a man.” – Blanche talking about Roy and Hayley Cropper
- Blanche telling Liz off for leaving her washing drying all over the sitting room. “Kenneth doesn’t want to stare at thongs all day. The man’s an intellectual!”
- Ken has just got down on one knee to propose to Deirdre and she’s turned him down. Blanche says: “Well, if you leave it much longer he won’t be able to get up again!”
- Blanche to Tracy who’s in a good mood “You look remarkably chipper. Trod on a snail?”
- When Tracy arrives back from her holiday with Charlie, having left Amy at home with the Barlows, Blanche says: “You should have bought her a T-shirt with ‘I’m your mother’ on it.”