Connect with us

ATV Today

Accidental Christmas pet poisoning warning

Health and Mental Health

Accidental Christmas pet poisoning warning

Lorraine Kelly and Dr Hilary Jones this week warned against the dangers of Christmas dog poisoning.

The feature, on Wednesday’s edition of ‘Lorraine’, was highlighted following Lorraine revealing her dog had just fallen seriously after eating chocolate. Speaking on her show, the ITV daytime host revealed:

“I had some chocolates wrapped up in a bag as a present. It was in my handbag. She [Ruby] managed to get in there in the middle of the night. She ate a whole bit of chocolate and was very, very ill indeed.”

Sharing a picture of Ruby looking poorly at the vet, she added: “We had to rush her to an emergency room. They had to put her on a drip. It was touch and go and it was really, really frightening.”

Sending a message to viewers, Lorraine warned: “At this time of year you’ve got to be so, so careful. You’ve got to be careful all year-round as well because chocolate’s really bad.” Lorraine thanked Dr Hilary for supporting her through the ordeal, saying: “You saw the state I was in.” 

Dr Hilary told how poisoning in dogs peaked during the festive season.

He said: “Apparently treatment for poisoning in dogs is 75 percent higher in the festive season than at any other time of year.” He explained chocolate contains a chemical, called theobromine, which makes dogs sick. He added: “Just keep that [chocolate] out of the way if you have got guests around.”

He also warned against some raisins and sultanas which can cause kidney failure, and also alcohol. He also added that the white artificial snow on trees can be toxic to cats. Lorraine added: “She [Ruby] is fine now. We were able to take her home yesterday. She didn’t have to stay in overnight. Honestly, I was beside myself.” To watch the interview and show in full visit itv.com

Lorraine, weekdays from 9am on ITV1 & ITVX

Continue Reading
Advertisement

More in Health and Mental Health

To Top